August is known to be the hottest month of the year. Often synonymous with holidays, we tend to forget that the garden doesn’t take any… August also means abundant harvests of fruits from the orchard and vegetables from the vegetable garden! Most plants love the sun, but beware of high temperatures which are unforgiving. Regular watering becomes essential during this period. To prevent the flowers from fading, the lawn from turning yellow or the vegetable garden from rotting, a few simple and easy garden maintenance actions are enough. August in the garden: discover the work to be done, what to plant and what to harvest.
In the vegetable garden:
- Sow : salads (chewed upchicory, escarole, spinach, arugula or curly leaf), radishes (pink, black, winter), parsley, cabbage (Chinese, winter, etc.), white onions, orach , of the carrots, turnips, pears and in regions with a mild climate, beans and fennel. But also herbs such as coriander, dill or chervil.
- Plant : aromatic herbs (chives, bay leaf, parsley, basil, sage, dill), salads, cabbage, celery, leeks, saffron crocuses and onions.
- To harvest : of the pepperstomatoes, beans, eggplant (depending on variety and region), beets, zucchinimelon, aromatic herbs to dry.
- transplant : leeks for next winter (for seedlings)
- Pinch : tomatoes
- Cut : melons, peppers and eggplant
Fruit and orchard:
- To harvest : peachesapricots, strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blackberries and the first grapes, pears, apples, plums and hazelnuts.
- Water : rhubarb regularly as well as raspberries.
- Cut : the peach trees after harvest and chop the bunches of grapes.
- Renew : strawberries by removing bad runners and rooting the best runners in individual pots.
- Layering : the fig tree, actinidia and passionflower.
- Protect : the other fruits of very greedy birds.
- Dormant eye crest graft : peach, cherry, apple, quince and pear trees
- cutting : kiwi fruit
In the ornamental garden:
- Sow : forget-me-nots, daisies, pansies, wallflowers, cyclamens, schizanthus.
- Disbud : dahlias and chrysanthemums.
- beaker : weeds and maintaining the lawn
- Mulch : the foot of the shrubs.
- Water : the plantations of the year and the planters.
- cutting : fuchsias, geraniums, roses, hydrangeas, abelias, akebias, aucubas, azaleas, boxwood, winter heather, camellias, honeysuckles, rockroses, Japanese beetles, Chinese junipers, witch hazel, holly, yew, star jasmine, lilac, magnolia deciduous foliage, etc.
- Divide : irises, but also tarragon, lemon verbena, rosemary, lavender and santolina.
- Cut : the faded flowers of the roses.
This period is ideal for repotting and cuttings. August is above all synonymous with holidays and heat, so watering becomes essential! Discover all tips for planning the watering of your plants before going on vacation ! Also add “special flower plant” fertilizers for better flowering.
General maintenance in the garden:
- Trellis : Brambles
- Mow : the lawn to prevent it from burning in the sun
- Gather : diseased fruits and those that are on the ground
- Give a lick of paint : on the fences, the garden shed
- Masonry work : create a staircase or a low wall
- Protect : your plants diseases
Sources : Gerbeaud, Gammvert, Rustica